Monday, March 1, 2010

The Time Has Come...

... The Walrus Said, To speak of many things - Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of Senegal and one girl's feelings.

Thanks, Mr. Lewis Carroll.

The time has come for me to start my tenure with the Peace Corps. On March 7th, I'll depart for Senegal, where I'll stay for the next two years, working in and enjoying a rural community yet to be determined. As a Preventative Health/Environmental Education volunteer, the projects, training, and education that I carry out will address both of these subjects, as well as the nexus between the two.

Or so I think. As I sit here in Los Angeles, I can't truly know what my life will be like once I move into my community in rural Senegal. What I do know is that I am ready to experience a truly new way of life, to get to know a diverse set of people, to share ideas on a range of matters, to play with some kids, and to broaden my perspective on the challenges, opportunities, and capabilities of all the people with whom we share our little planet.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Lady! I can't wait to follow along. I'm so excited for you I almost burst when I think about what you'll be experiencing for the next two years. Write when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily if there is one person in my life that I always have thought would make a world-class Peace Corps volunteer, it is you. So many times I have thought WWEmilyD? :)
    I feel blessed for the time I was able to spend with you this winter and excited for all that awaits you in never-never land. May your journey be one of selflessness and self discovery. See you in Africa!
    Allmylove, K
    PS did you pack your hoooop??

    ReplyDelete